Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Quick and Easy Lifesaver

Ugh...the weather was awful today. LOTS of rain and HIGH wind. Broken umbrellas everywhere. Down power lines. The power went out while I was doing my homework this morning before class... It was so dismal outside that I had to light candles everywhere just so I could get ready, my house was so dark! Any-who...after dashing to the groomers to pick up my dogs (aren't they cute?!):

I raced to the school campus, driving through mini-ponds, whipping rain and lots of tree debris just so I could circle the huge parking lot like a vulture for 20-30 minutes looking for a parking spot (the beginning of the semester is the worst!). By the time I had parked and hiked the 35 miles or so from the parking lot to my building, I was soaking wet. And I was using a large umbrella - to no avail since the wind just whipped the rain up and under! For the next 3+ hours, I sat shivering and drip drying. Do you know how uncomfortable very wet denim is?? Finally dry and warm, I headed back out to my car...so much for dry and warm! If it sounds like I'm complaining, I am. You can't imagine how happy I was to be back behind the wheel.

As I began to feel human again, I realized how hungry I was. Have you ever had one of those days? So busy that you only think about food once the day is over? I just hate that! And to make it worse, I was headed to Safeway by my daughter's request. I'm not going to say how much I bought because it's just silly and embarrassing...however, I did buy a cheese pizza from the deli - and discovered the quickest, easiest way to eat veggie and relatively healthy:

Go home, kick your shoes off (that's an important step). Turn the oven on to 400 degrees, start pulling out whatever you have (mushrooms, peppers, onion, olives, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, pineapple chunks, baby spinach, garlic, whatever..). Chop it up and toss on pizza. Sprinkle a little cheese on top (I keep bags of shredded italian blend, cheddar and mozzarella handy). Throw it in the oven, grab something to drink, and relax for 15 minutes. This is a good time to drink a big glass of water.

Ding-ding! Dinner's ready. And there's leftover for tomorrow. Woo hoo!

Another super-easy and satisfying lunch/dinner: get one of the veggie soups from the Safeway deli department (I bought Broccoli & Cheesy Cheddar) and a warm loaf of French bread. Don't forget the Pellegrino's (or for an occasional treat, try Blood Orange Italian soda - mostly carbonated water w/juice - but there is some sugar so remember this is a treat only!). Soup and fresh baked bread are great on those cold, rainy days!

Here's another picture of my sweetheart, Irish. She's just so pretty (smile). I would show you my finished pizza, but alas, I got distracted on my computer (homework - I swear!) that it cooked a little too long. Still edible, but more than a little "golden brown", lol. Note to self: set a timer when cooking pizza!!

P.S. I got into all my classes - no more waitlist!


1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of just buying the pizza and load it with veggies you have on hand, no stress - just yummyness

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome!