Monday, January 18, 2010

Grilled Squash and Ravioli (serve warm)


YUMMY! That's all I can say about this recipe. So good, in fact, that my daughters were in the kitchen sneaking bites while checking to make sure I couldn't see them - since they are huge believers in meat and staging an on-going protest! When I first read this recipe, I thought "yeah sure, I'll just preheat my grill - since I have a gourmet kitchen, just call me Julia...". Then, I remembered I DID have a grill - a Foreman grill! Guess what? It works perfectly - for everything: squash, mushrooms, garlic - you name it! So without further ado, lets cook!
  • 1 lb. frozen cheese ravioli (I used fresh from the deli)
  • 1 1/2 cups cubed yellow summer squash
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced white mushrooms
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 4 large garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1/2 cup Italian dressing (I used light Sicilian Roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette)
  • 1/3 cup of thinly sliced FRESH basil
  • shredded Parmesan cheese - optional

1. Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.

2. Place large sections of squash on a Foreman Grill, along with whole mushrooms and garlic cloves until tender (4-7 minutes). Remove and cut accordingly.

3. In a large bowl, combine grilled veggies, cooked ravioli, fresh basil and Italian dressing. Toss to coat and sprinkle with Parmesan. Serves 4.

Roasted/grilled garlic, fresh basil and good ravioli are the most important ingredients here. The original recipe said to grill the veggies in aluminium foil with the dressing for 20-30 minutes. If you, like me, do not have either the patience or the time for this - a Foreman Grill is your answer. Also, make sure you use a good tomato - very flavorful and ripe (if it doesn't smell like a tomato - it's not a good one!). Any Italian-type dressing will work. My recipe was on the sweet side because of the basil and balsamic vinaigrette I chose to use. Be creative. Also, I served this with Fried Tomatoes - a first for me that left me wanting to watch the movie, lol. I'll post that recipe another time, after I have made it again. Unfortunately, it was only mediorce since the tomato was somewhat bland. I can't emphasis enough the importance of fresh, ripe "smelly" tomatoes. As far as the ravioli, my personal preference is fresh ravioli - the frozen seems so "cold" lol. Also, next time I'm thinking of using a spinach-cheese blend.

Fast, tasty and easy...what more could anyone ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome!