- 1 lb. frozen cheese ravioli (I used fresh from the deli)
- 1 1/2 cups cubed yellow summer squash
- 1 1/2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing (I used light Sicilian Roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette)
- 1/3 cup of thinly sliced FRESH basil
- shredded Parmesan cheese - optional
1. Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
2. Place large sections of squash on a Foreman Grill, along with whole mushrooms and garlic cloves until tender (4-7 minutes). Remove and cut accordingly.
3. In a large bowl, combine grilled veggies, cooked ravioli, fresh basil and Italian dressing. Toss to coat and sprinkle with Parmesan. Serves 4.Roasted/grilled garlic, fresh basil and good ravioli are the most important ingredients here. The original recipe said to grill the veggies in aluminium foil with the dressing for 20-30 minutes. If you, like me, do not have either the patience or the time for this - a Foreman Grill is your answer. Also, make sure you use a good tomato - very flavorful and ripe (if it doesn't smell like a tomato - it's not a good one!). Any Italian-type dressing will work. My recipe was on the sweet side because of the basil and balsamic vinaigrette I chose to use. Be creative. Also, I served this with Fried Tomatoes - a first for me that left me wanting to watch the movie, lol. I'll post that recipe another time, after I have made it again. Unfortunately, it was only mediorce since the tomato was somewhat bland. I can't emphasis enough the importance of fresh, ripe "smelly" tomatoes. As far as the ravioli, my personal preference is fresh ravioli - the frozen seems so "cold" lol. Also, next time I'm thinking of using a spinach-cheese blend.
Fast, tasty and easy...what more could anyone ask for?